Here is a memory that gets people talking...
Where were you when... happened?
An Earthquake:
picture this, a baby crib with wooden rungs, a window across the room. the crib rolling back and forth across the wooden floor. the windows have venetian blinds, that are slamming against the panes. there is a bright light coming and going from the windows.
Guess who is describing this scene?
The baby in the crib is remembering what happened during an earthquake when she was only 10 months old. Her parents took their first baby and had just moved to CA from Ohio. My mom says that I described the room exactly, and that the light I saw was from the electric wires outside hitting themselves. It happened at 4:30 am. in July, 1952.
We have had other earthquakes similar to that in 1971, right after my fiance got home from Viet Nam. Another big one in 1987, 1994. The one in Feb. 1971, at 6:00 am. felt like a giant (Atlas) was holding our house and shaking it like a toy. Bruce said he slept thru that cuz he thought it was a rocket attack in Viet Nam. The night before around 6:00 pm. the full moon was rising as the sun was setting. I noticed that becuz we were sitting in our favorite make-out spot, (car, my street) and then were going out to eat dinner and a movie. Then we sat again on my street and gazed at the full moon and each other's eyes. I always thought that the full moon's pull on earth at the same time as sundown had alot to do with that earthquake. It was also an unusually hot Feb. day. hmm be watchful, same things happened in 1987 and 1994. Or was it all that makin-out? ha ha.
The 1987 Whitter quake, happened at 7:30 am. and shook us out of bed on a weekday Oct. morning. Why were we still in bed on a weekday, you ask? Well I home-schooled the kids then, and did not have to get up early. Bruce was working at the sheriff's station, he was in the basement when the quake hit. He drove home in a black & white, just to see how his family was. Then there was some kind of chlorine gas leak, so he came home anyway. Thank God, I needed him then, with those 5 kids and all the after shocks! Even on the toilet, whew! Later that nite, I was supposed to be in charge of a Sheriff's Wives meeting as the president. I called everyone and said I'm cancelling the meeting, you can have it if you want, I am needed here at home.
The 1994, Northridge quake is history, that you all have a story to tell. So, let's hear your stories, post them here, or on a blog I read. That one was stronger than all the ones I experienced, we were still in bed, but it was MLK holiday, in Jan. 4:30 am.
This is original writing and you may not publish without written permission from the author, Rae of Sunshine, Los Angeles, CA.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home