Wednesday, June 22, 2005

What I found when I looked up the earthquake of July, 1952, was it was 6.6, and it was in Kern County, north of Los Angeles. It was compared to the Long Beach quake in 1933, there is pictures in our historical books about that damage. They also compared the 1906 quake with the 1952 one. I can compare the Sylmar quake in Feb, 1971. That one felt like a giant was holding the house and shaking it back & forth. So if I was comparing baby crib rolling to giant shaking a house, or Hulk shaking the house, they all feel about the same.

OK, that said, I felt the earthquake recently before it even started rolling, not the one where Bryan got under his desk in his suit, the one before on a Sunday. I was sitting in the recliner, felt something rumble on the chair like a loud music, or that the cat jumped on my chair. Neither of that happened so I said out loud, "I think we're having an earthquake." Then it started swaying, chandelier swinging, dogs barking, Hubby saying "Yep, we're having an earthquake."

Now for you people who live in parts of the country, that get Tornadoes and Hurricanes, at least you are warned, and can drive away. Us'ens who get earthquakes stay where we're at, dive thru doorways, under tables, but not get away. I think Hurricanes are scarier, but at least you can gather important people and belongings, put boards on windows, and leave.

How about those poor, rich people in Laguna. I'm sorry, but did you not hear about "building your house upon a rock?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Exactly!
I saw the devastation that hurricane Hugo did in Georgia, and it happened years before we saw the area.

6/23/2005 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home